From the Administrator panel > Components > HikaShop > Products
Default product categories have already been created in HikaShop. If you plan on selling only a few items then you don't need to add any category and you can directly start to add your products. In this example, we will create a product in "Product category".
Click on Product category
Click > New icon on top, right-hand side to create a new product.
In the Main Information section, enter the 1) the title of the product and 2) product description.
Further down, you can optionally enter the 1) Url - this will display on the product page & will link to the manufacturers website.
This information will be used by search engines to help rank your product information.
Still further below,
- Code: a unique identifier for each product i,e a SKU number.
- Brand: You can select here a manufacturer (manufacturers can be created via the menu Products > Manufacturers).
- Quantity : the stock quantity. This quantity will be automatically adjusted each time the stock is adjusted, or when an order is cancelled the stock will be restored.
- Minimum quantity per order: Sets the minimum of products that can be brought.
- Maximum quantity per order: Sets the maximum number of products a user can buy at once.
- Product available from: You can optionally set a sale start date. Your customers will be able to see the product if it's published even if the current date is before this sale start date, but then they won't be able to buy it and a short message will inform them of the sale start date.
- Product available until: You can optionally set a sale end date. Your customers will be able to see the product if it's published even if the current date is after this sale end date, but then they won't be able to buy it and a short message will inform them of the sale end date.
- Weight: This represents the weight of the product. If you enter a weight, the product is considered shippable but if you leave it blank it is considered is virtual product. If a customer orders a virtual product, shipping details won't be asked.
- Volume: Enter the length, width and height of your product. It will be used to calculate shipping.
- Published: If a product is published it means that it can be seen by the customers in your shop.
You can add several categories to your product. Then, when your customers browse your categories on your website, they will be able to see the product in each category you set here.
Characteristics are useful if you create product variants. Variants are used to describe variations of the same product - for example, a table can come in 5 different colors, each with different prices. Variants can also have different weights, polish, etc. However, when displaying the product, you want the table to be listed only once when your customers browses your shop. That's what characteristics are for. Then, on the product page, your customers will be able to change the characteristics value of the product.
This section only allows you to manage and assign characteristics. To use characteristics, you need to add them via the characteristics menu (see the tutorial: "Creating Product Variants"). Once you're done adding your characteristics, you will be able to see them here.
The prices field has been set up to automatically calculate GST. Enter a price in the Prices with tax field for example, and GST will be worked out accordingly.
You can add several images to your product. The first one will also be used as the default image for this product in listings of products.
The Files section will be useful if you want to upload, say instruction manuals or PDF files to go with your product.
Click on Save & Close.